The avocado does indeed promise success. Eating one puts you on the right track towards success, and it is indeed a favorable food. Can I tell you with absolute certainty that this is an appropriate use of the word auspicious? Did I ask the grammar police if it was okay to write it like this?
NO and NO.
However, the avocado is indeed auspiciously amazing, and you need to be adding it to your daily eating regime!
Wanna learn why? Keep on reading, but before you do, sign up for the mailing list using the form below for more Fiber Guardian awesomeness. You definitely will not be disappointed!
The Health Benefits of Eating Avocados
Avocados are loaded with health benefits which can be seen below:
- Since they are so high in fiber, avocados are an excellent addition to a high fiber diet.
- Avocados are very high in Potassium. This is especially huge for heart health as people with diets high in potassium have better overall blood pressure.
- The type of fat that is in avocados is monounsaturated oleic acid, which has been shown to provide many health benefits!
- Loaded with antioxidants, avocados can keep you healthy by keeping your immune system strong.
- Cancer prevention, specifically protection from getting prostate cancer.
- The extract of avocados can help with symptoms of arthritis.
Types of Avocados
The major avocado varieties include:
- Lamb Hass
Learn more about each of these varieties here!
How to Tell if an Avocado is Ripe
Color is actually not the best way to determine an avocados ripeness. To truly tell if an avocado is ripe, give the flesh of the fruit a gentle squeeze. It should give in a little bit to moderate pressure. If it does, cut it open and enjoy!
Still not sure how to tell? This quick Youtube video should help you out!
The Avocado Fun Fact Card
The origin of Avocados
Avocados grow on trees and are native to Mexico and Central America. It then moved to Jamaica , the Philippines and then soon enough it was grown commercially throughout the world!
How to Grow Your Own Avocados
One of the key features of an avocado is the giant pit at its center. However, the really cool thing about the pit is that you can actually get the pit to sprout! If you are really persistent, you can even get the pit to grow into a fully grown avocado tree!
This guide will show you just exactly how to do it. If you are reading this post and end up trying this out, please comment and let me know how it turns out!
Avocado Fiber Content and Nutrition Facts
One cup of Avocado includes:
- 10 grams of fiber.
- 234 calories.
- 708 mg of potassium which is a whopping 20% of your daily value.
- Only 1 gram of sugar.
- 2.9 grams of protein.
- A multitude of vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, B, and C!
Avocados are full of almost everything you need. You will definitely not regret trying one out, and eventually adding it to your weekly shopping list!
How I Eat My Own Avocados
I recently enjoyed my first avocado (I know I know, it was a long time coming!) and I lOVED it. My wife and I added it to chicken fajita wrap and it was excellent. Here is what we used:
- 2 chicken breasts.
- High fiber wrap.
- Avocado, sliced and diced. (I think I just like saying “sliced and diced.”
- Sour cream/salsa to top it off.
Make the chicken, heat up the wraps, and then add the toppings. It is a very simple recipe!
10 Awesome Avocado Recipes with Links!
I have not tried all of these recipes, but I checked them out, and they definitely look delicious! Each of them will have a unique nutritional outlook, so be sure to make sure it works for your diet! However, all of them will be high in fiber, so if that is what you are focused on, go ahead and try something new here!
- Avocado Bacon and Eggs
- Smoked Salmon Egg Stuffed Avocado
- Avocado Quesadillas (vegan)
- Fudgy Avocado Brownies: Not sure how good these actually are for you, but they claim to be gluten free, flourless, and healthy!
- Creamy Avocado Pasta: This one looks awesome! I definitely wanna try this!
- Avocado Mug Cake
- Avocaco Chicken Salad
- Italian Bruschetta Melts with Avocado Spread
- Banana & Avocado Smoothie Recipe
- Avocado and Egg Breakfast Pizza
Final thoughts on Avocados
Eating a diet high in fiber does not have to be boring. Not at all! There are so many different foods that you can eat, and so many of them actually taste great!
The avocado is no exception, and it tastes really good! It can be eaten in a variety of different ways, and the flavor is indeed impressive. Go ahead and grab one today and try it out for yourself!
Thanks for reading this weeks addition of Fiber Focus Friday, and be sure to come back for more next week!
-Jordan, your Fiber Guardian